Wednesday, May 09, 2007

surgery

I didn't think we were actually going to do it. I mean, we had the appointment and all. We had worked it out with the insurance. We had it marked on the calendar. But for some reason I didn't REALLY think that poor chilly was going to have to get his tonsils out.

I was pretty much freaked out. I mean, the last surgery he had was pretty scary for me. He was only 20 months old. Having to take your baby to the children's hospital and have them cut, sew and put him under was pretty scary. So naturally, I though this time was going to be the same way.

We got an early appointment. Good for him. We were up early and to the surgical center before any of us was missing breakfast. Chilly was fine. he was even excited. He got to wear funny pajamas and ride on a big bed. He got a coloring book and stickers. and then they wheeled him down the hall by himself. He was fine.

I got back into the car and hurried home to be with Fussy. my mom had come over to watch him, so I nursed him. Or at least tried too. And about 10 minutes later Big d called and said he was done, out of surgery. A total of 30 minutes! So I raced back to be with Chilly as he was coming out of the anesthetic.

He was okay. In a bit of pain. He was a bit drugged. They gave him some morphine, and some zofran. After about an hour of fighting with the tubes and such, the nice nurse took the iv out and we came home. He layed on the couch for a few hours and then was fine. He was up playing around. and he even ate 2 corn dogs.

Slowly he has gotten worse each day. Today, Wednesday, has been the worst morning. He hurts. I wish I could take that pain away from him and have his throat healed. But I can't. I can just fight him to give him his lortab and try and get him to drink.

I hope we did the right thing, and this will actually help. The doctor said his tonsils were huge. So I can imagine that they were in the way for small things like breathing or eating. It is just hard to see your kid in pain.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

poor kid! how is he doing now? I promise, once he is healed, he will feel so much better! I can't believe I waited so long to have my tonsils removed - I was 31! My tonsils were actually periodically releasing little granules of infected gunk and they were so big I could hardly swallow- of course that was normal to me - and once they were gone I couldn't believe how much better life is! (hugs) to you and Chilly.