Thursday, February 05, 2009

super human

the thermometer read 45 degrees today at 11am. i fixed 4 bike tires and a jogger stroller. and off we went.

do you know how hard it is to run when you are constantly watching for two boys who haven't ridden a bike all winter?

we stopped a lot. to look at weeds, ice puddles, dog poop, and other assorted things. we stopped even more than i do when i am on the treadmill, and they interrupt every half mile or so. taco at one point mentioned he MUST have superpowers because he was going so fast. (by the way, he was also wearing his spiderman costume)

it was a lot more fun. it was fun to see them feed the horses. it was fun to see them working really hard to speed past me. and it was fun to watch taco pull into the driveway, thoroughly exhausted from peddling for over 6 miles.

it's inspiring to see them do more, or go beyond, what they think they can. i felt bad for pushing them that last mile. i know we could have walked back home. but i kept them going. i kept telling them it was a shortcut and we'd be home in a couple of minutes. maybe it looks bad on me, although, i can tell you, that when i told them they just went over 6 miles, they looked pretty much amazed. like they can do anything. i think it is a great lesson for them, and for me.

yes, son, you really do have superpowers.

6 comments:

Grandpa & Grandma said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lynette said...

You are amazing! And yes, your kids MUST be Superheroes! Miss you guys. We should get together more often.

~Lynette

Laurel said...

Seriously, I don't think I could run a mile. Let alone six. And with kids. Truly amazing.

One Crazy Family said...

superhero Taco at your service

I love it! I am happy to hear from you again. I missed you.

Taco is my hero and I think he will grow up and move mountains and play rock band at my house? Please?

Stacy said...

We love to wear our kids out, too. They sleep so much better at night.

But maybe not if they have super powers...

The black sheep A.K.A Pandora said...

6 miles! were you guys chasing an ice cream truck? oh who am I kidding I wouldn't even run 6 miles for ice cream, I would drive a block to the store....and complain I had to park 30 feet from the doors.